Contributors

Monday, July 15, 2013

Flying While Pregnant

    This mini-vaca I have felt pretty blessed to have an "easy" pregnancy. By that I mean, I got all my throwing up out of the way in the first few weeks (though in those few weeks I think I barfed enough for the entire 40 weeks. On another note- I HATE the word barf. But there is no GOOD phrase for it, is there?) My back hurts and my feet hurt, but they aren't swelling like I've seen in some of my friends, and Joel has been taking it easy with the bladder punches so my runs to the bathroom, frequent as they are, haven't been enough to really annoy the people sitting near me.

     But before I flew, I was scared! I read and looked for other's experiences, and I thought I'd share some of my own tips and thoughts about my own experience flying or traveling in general while pregnant.

   First, especially if you're flying, get a doctors note. I cleared it with my doctor (who clears flying up to 28 weeks along, but many doctors have different policies) and got a note just in case. Some airlines want to see a note past a certain point in your pregnancy, and even if you haven't reached that point yet it could cause a hassle if they decide they want to see one for you. It's just as important though just so your doctor is aware you are planning to travel, whether by plane or car, in case they want to do an extra check for any possible problems

    Don't skimp on the water. I know it's a hassle already to have a million bathroom runs a day, and generally they are only more annoying during a trip. But water is important and the bathroom breaks aren't as daunting as they seem after you've reached your destination. The last thing you want is to skimp on the water for convenience, and end up dehydrated on vacation. (That can lead to many issues, including a trip to the er, contractions, and general uncomfy-grumpiness. Not really that convenient at all.)

    If you're flying, try to get an aisle seat. This will help you feel more comfortable with the pee-breaks you'll need to take, but also encourage you to stretch your legs. One of the bigger issues (my doctor said) with traveling is sitting for so long. That's a lot of pressure for quite some time, and let's face it, airplane seats aren't really built for longtime comfort. Taking a walk up and down the aisle occasionally or just stretching your legs out in the aisle (rotate your ankle and flex your toes, point them up and stretch your legs) and shifting your position will help with leg and back cramps. And in my case, due to a low lying placenta, sitting for too long can cause bleeding, which would mean an instant trip to the emergency room upon landing.

   Bring some snacks. Most people do this already. But airport food is EXPENSIVE ($4 brownie anyone?) and many airlines don't even offer peanuts anymore without charging you. A purse filled with granola bars, trail mix, any type of snack is a good idea. Plan for delays or any type of event that may keep you from being able to purchase snacks at any point. A fed mommy-to-be is a happy mommy to be.

   And last, don't forget to plan for an emergency. Bring along your doctors information, your id (of course) and any insurance cards you might have. Look ahead of time for hospitals located near you, and if possible find some that take your insurance.

    Most of all, have a good time and stay safe! Kick up your feet when you get to your destination and relax. 

No comments:

Post a Comment